Sunday, May 18, 2008

One Year Later: The Pain Still Hurts

Today is a rough day.

It's been one year since my Grandmother died. A year that seems to have moved by so fast, but painfully slow at the same time.

It has been a year full of birthdays, holidays and moments that were not the same, because Grandma wasn't there. Grandma died just two short months after my grandfather, her husband. She was my last grandparent; the last connection to where my parents came from.

But I had 25 good years with them. That's about 5 more years that I had with my other grandfather, and about 20 more than my other grandmother.

I know my Dad was always worried when I was growing up, that I wouldn't remember my grandmother, since she died when I was so young. But I remember, and I'll never forget. You can't forget that kind of love.

I know grandparents are a special thing to people, and I know for the rest of my life, I'll never have to second guess that I'm loved. My grandparents always made sure I knew that...and I know that love will never end.

While today is a hard day, it is a good day at the same time. It is a time to think back, remember and know that I'm loved.

Today may be the anniversary of one grandparent, but I take the time to remember them all.

I read the "Irish Blessing" as a part of my eulogy at Grandma's funeral. It was always in her house, the Irish in her coming out. It is what I wish for all my grandparents...

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

"When I miss you, I don't have to go far ... I just have to look inside my heart because that's where I'll find you."
- by Unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im sure your grandmother knows how much you loved her and im sure she's proud of you