Friday, June 6, 2008

Where Have All The Heroes Gone?

Everyday we hear about heroes. Those people who sacrifice life and limb for complete strangers. For all those great stories, there's one that just makes you angry.

I've been in the news business for awhile now, and I grew up with a police officer for a dad. I'm used to hearing about bad things. Nothing surprises me anymore, but plenty still angers me.

You may have seen the video (WBTV News This Morning chose not to air it). An elderly man was hit by a car while crossing the road in Hartford, Connecticut. Two drivers were driving erratically and one ended up hitting him. Both cars drove off. The whole thing was caught on tape.

As disturbing as the actual video was, it was nothing compared to what happened next. The accident happened on a busy road next to a busy sidewalk. Plenty of people saw it happen and plenty of drivers came up afterwards.

So someone immediately rushed over and checked for vitals, right?

Someone dialed 9-1-1, right?

You'd be wrong on both counts.

No-one did a thing. Not the driver that hit him, not the people that saw it happen, and not the motorists who drove up afterward. In fact some motorists swerved around the man's body like they were swerving to miss a pothole. Luckily a police officer responding to a different call came up on the incident a few minutes after it happened.

This makes me sick. It doesn't take a lot to pick up the phone and call 9-1-1. It doesn't take much to walk over to the man and check for a pulse. This is basic! I know police in that city are outraged, I just hope they find the driver who left the scene. I also hope they find a way to punish those who just watched and did nothing. I don't know that they can or will but maybe they should.

What ever happened to the golden rule, do unto others that you would have done to you? Would you like it if your elderly father was hit by a car and left on the street?

By the way, the man is still alive, barely. He's paralyzed and in a lot of pain.

For as many stories that give me hope in humankind, there's one that takes it right away.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Producer Becky,

It is a sad commentary that people would treat another human being in the way this elderly gentleman was treated. I share your outrage, and cannot understand why this happened. Do not lose hope in humankind. I simply cannot accept that this is normal human behavior.

Anonymous said...

One thing I think we should keep in mind, this made NEWS. If it were a common thing for people to get run over and left laying in the street, it wouldn't have made the news; it would be common.

Though I feel and agree with your outrage, don't lose hope. This made news because it was so unusual and so rare.

Keep hope Producer Becky.