Sunday, February 3, 2008

Mr. McCrory, come here! I have to tell you something!

It's amazing how much fun you can have in Charlotte, for just $2.60.

That's right...$2.60. The price of a Light Rail ticket to and from Center City.

Now, I'll be honest. I'm not from Charlotte, and just barely moved into the city limits and have an apartment there - so I wasn't around for the Light Rail vote. But like many people from just across the South Carolina border - I'm glad it is there. I can park near I-485 and ride into the city without having to figure out where to park and all that. Plus, I figure in some small way, I'm giving back to the city.

So my friends and I were bored on Friday and decided to go walk around Center City. Rather than drive around looking for a place to park, we decided to just take the light rail in.

On our way over, I mentioned to my friends that I had seen a profile for Mayor McCrory on Facebook earlier that day. (Who knows if it's actually the Mayor, or not.) All of the people with me were from South Carolina, and it didn't register right away who McCrory was. So I explained that he was the Mayor and was running for Governor.

About 30 minutes later, we were about halfway to Center City when a group gets on the Light Rail behind me. Suddenly, I hear a familiar voice saying "Hey everybody, are you enjoying your ride?" A group of people (late teens-to early 20s) in the back of the train started freaking out. "Oh my god, thats the MAYOR!"

So I turn around, and low and behold - there he is. I turned back around, because I don't want to be the creepy guy staring at the Mayor. One of the people from the group in the back comes running up and asks for the Mayor's autograph. I just laughed...but then it got interesting.

My friend Mia says, "Wow, we were just talking about him and there he is. I gotta say 'hi'." I figure it can't be any worse than asking for his autograph, so I say "go for it."

She turns around, and yells: "Hey Mister McCrory! Come here, I have to tell you something!" The Mayor walks over and she explains how we were just talking about him and how she didn't even know who he was. "30 minutes ago, I'd never even heard of you, now here you are!"

This time...I was too embarassed to even turn around. I just sat in my seat and laughed to myself. He was polite, said a few nice words and then walked back to his group. Honestly, I think she scared him a little. Ha ha.

Mia started texting another friend, and of course, we had to get a picture for her.



That's him, behind the pole.

After the Mayor excitement, we got off on 7th Street and walked around Uptown for about 2 hours and then rode the Light Rail back. We sat near a group of people who were riding for the first time, and were just checking things out. They were very funny, and we got plenty of laughs.

None as hard as when we saw the Mayor, though.

Who knew that $2.60 would get you such a good time?

No comments: