Monday, February 25, 2008

Political Observations

While I normally shy away from politics... at least for blogging purposes, I had some thoughts this weekend. I was reading an article about the upcoming Presidential race and I came to two very different conclusions about two very different candidates.

The first was about John McCain. After reading an article in the New York Times it became apparent that the Times did what John McCain couldn't, get Republican backers for himself. After the article ran last week, accusing McCain of an inappropriate relationship with a lobbyist, GOP's came out of the woodwork to support him. These were the same republican leaders who had shunned McCain for not being republican enough. In the word's of my boyfriend, "Being attacked by the Times was like a badge of honor." Essentially now that McCain has been attacked by liberals, he's conservative enough for Republicans again.

The second thought was about Hillary Clinton. I don't think she'll get a fair shake when it comes to this Presidential Race. In fact I don't think most women would get a fair shake. As much as we'd like to say Gender shouldn't or doesn't play a role into politics, I think we all know it does. I think even more so than race.

Throughout the race we've seen several faces of Senator Clinton. We've seen the tough, loud, mud slinging, accusation throwing Clinton and we've also seen the crying, emotional Clinton. I think both sides are bad for her run. Let's be honest, there are words that people use to describe women like Hillary. It doesn't matter how capable a woman is, if she's outspoken and harsh, it doesn't settle well with men or women. But as soon as she tries to show a little emotion, to show she's not as hard as she seems, people say "see she's crying, that's why we can't have a woman president."

I'm not saying a woman president is not possible, I just think it would take a candidate that is charming, relatable to both men and women, tough but not threatening (especially to men). I hope one day in the near future there is a woman President, but I don't think Clinton is the woman who will get the job.

Just food for thought.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ofcourse Clinton won't get the job. She doesn't deserve it, and America just isn't ready for a woman president; and won't be for a really long time.

Anonymous said...

I am ready for a female president, but Senator Clinton carries too much baggage from her husband's administration. I am not opposed to a woman who can be both tough guy and sentimental, but she just comes across as too fake.

Anonymous said...

Clinton won't get a fair shake, but she is the best candidate for the job. hell she pratically ran the country the first time when her husband was busy with interns

Anonymous said...

Oh where to begin with politics!

I've never known ProducerBecky to shy from politics...ever.

I don't think what we saw with McCain was a rally around McCain as much as it was a rally AGAINST the Times. Hannity and Limbaugh will be back to hating McCain well before November.

As much as I wouldn't mind a woman in the Oval Office, it's not going to be Hillary. Everything is staged with her, a well oiled political machine. Plus I'm still trying to figure out where her 35 years of experience is coming from... being married to a politician doesn't mean you get to put it on YOUR resume. If you want a woman president, consider Condi Rice.

Final thought on politics... I worry about Barack Obama. There is still enough fanatical racism left in America to pose a serious threat to a black candidate... much less a black president. I read today that the Secret Service recently DOUBLED his security detail. Guess I'm not the only one who thinks he could be in danger.