Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Spelling Bee vs. College Basketball

Before I even get started, let me make it clear, I support all the good spellers of the world.

With that disclaimer out of the way...can I just say "Huh?"

I was cruising through the Charlotte Observer this morning, when I ran across Dannye Romine Powell's article "A bee with wide-eyed engagement."

In the article, Powell says "Think Sunday's Carolina-Clemson game was good? Monday's 54th Regional Spelling Bee at ImaginOn was so much better." Needless to say, I was completely floored.

Again, don't get me wrong - I know that children need to learn to spell. And I know that a Spelling Bee can be very exciting - hoping that the child does (or does not) get the correct spelling. Maybe I'm just jealous that I didn't make it as far as I hoped in my own 6th grade spelling bee - I still wake up in cold sweats.

But honestly, a double overtime basketball game with a top ranked NATIONAL basketball team...less exciting than the Spelling Bee? Pssh!

I know I'm a die-hard Clemson fan, but seriously...ANY double-overtime game is exciting. I've been to some Spelling Bees and trust me, I've even seen PARENTS fall asleep!

I'm just as happy as anyone for Molly Crawford, the 7th grader from Jay M. Robinson Middle School who won. She is an EXCELLENT speller and made it through 26 rounds of very tough words, and I would have stumbled through most of them.

But sorry Molly, until you walk up to another speller and say "BAM! I spelled that word right!" - you just can't hang with basketball.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this made me laugh out loud

Anonymous said...

Hah! so true

The Guy With the Camera said...

Spell Clemson...

C-L-E-M-Z-O-N *Bing* that is incorrect...

The correct spelling is C-L-E-M-S-OOOOOOOO-N!

Pronounced - Clemson (Clem-son) NOT (Clem-Zon) For all of you professional sports broadcasters at folks at ESPN and FSN.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but you're not Molly's Uncle. ;-)