Sunday, October 28, 2007

Biting off more than we can chew?

I was on my way to the gym this morning and couldn’t help but notice yet more land being cleared for development.

I remember when I first moved to Charlotte. I was so excited about all the building going on. I would tell my friends and family in Detroit; Charlotte is a city on the move! The city’s progression is incredible.

But now all this development has me wondering – are we biting off more than we can chew? I mean how much is too much development?

Every time I turn around there’s a new shopping plaza going up, another restaurant or nail salon opening and some new condo project.

Sure construction is a good thing. It means money is coming into the city. But it also leads to clogging roadways and crowding schools.

Getting back to that intersection that’s been flattened by bulldozers -- I miss the trees that were there and the shade/privacy they provided. I am sure as our city continues to grow this will become a more frequent sight. I can only hope our elected city leaders are thinking about the long-term and short-term benefits.

On another note…I can’t believe my Michigan State Spartans BLEW it against Iowa this weekend. They seemed one step closer to a bowl bid by the end of half time – but as one columnist put it – the game turned so decisively after that, you would have thought the teams exchanged jerseys.

We have to regroup for next Saturday's game against Michigan. Thank goodness the game is in East Lansing. I really want that bowl game.

Oh, and thanks for the hospitality in Cleveland county this weekend. My husbands company had their company picnic and we had a ball!

Until next time…

No comments: