Monday, October 29, 2007

A Time of Tragedy

It's the kind of phone call that just hits you in the gut.

A massive house fire and anywhere between 6-13 people from your old college are dead. That's what I got on Sunday, when I was at home preparing to catch a nap before work.

Instantly - you go into panic mode. A lot of my friends still live in and around the campus area of USC. So I grabbed my cell phone and start calling people. That's when I realize, I need more information.

So I go online and start looking at the local papers for Columbia and Myrtle Beach. Thank goodness for online editions!

Even still, I went to places like Facebook and Myspace to see if anyone has posted anything at all... plans for the weekend, vacation plans or "Oh my God, did you see what happened?"

I was too nervous - I couldn't go back to sleep. I had to keep updated on everything that was coming out. Maybe it was the news guy in me, maybe it was the connection.

Its no secret that I don't like South Carolina Football, but the school - I loved. I met some of my best friends in classes, even if I didn't wanna be in class.

Even now, I still don't know. I haven't been gone that long from USC, some of those killed, I could easily know. Guess I'll have to sit - and wait.

I can't imagine being a parent right now, not knowing for sure.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those 7 students... and the family, who are just waiting on a call.

No comments: