Monday, October 29, 2007

Not The Time To Gloat

My first University of Tennessee game was a success. I had a great time with friends I hadn't seen in a while. I loved being around fans as enthusiastic as UT fans, especially when they got into it with South Carolina fans. And the win didn't hurt either.

After the game UT fans were excited and rowdy and USC fans... well you can imagine. And yet as we were soaking in a victory most didn't think we would have and USC was moping because of the loss, no-one would even imagine the tragedy the next morning would bring.

As I was walking out of the game, I couldn't wait to write a big "I told you so" blog. I was really going let all you USC fans who doubted UT have it! But after learning about Sunday's fire that claimed the lives of seven college students, six of which went to USC, football just doesn't seem that important anymore. It is hard to fathom how seven seemingly healthy, young, happy adults could suddenly be gone in the span of a morning. I can't imagine what their parents are going through right now. USC students, family members and friends were probably still talking about the football game Sunday morning. At that point no-one knew about the fire, and the loss of the football game was probably the worst thing on their minds. No-one could imagine the day would get a lot worse.

More than anything, I want to extend my condolences to the family and friends of those who lost a loved one on Sunday. I'm praying for everyone who goes to USC and Clemson, and for everyone who knew someone involved in the fire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thank you for all the prayers and thoughts that everyone has sent to the Clemson and USC students. It is truely a horrible thing that has struck us. I know that as a Clemson fan that when we play the USC Gamecocks everything will be pushed aside. On that day it will not be a rival.. I hope that on that day we will be able to put our differences beside us and remember the ones that we have lost and honor them in such a manner.

We've all lost something that is more important and more precious than losing a game.. We've lost loved ones, friends, family and students.